Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Perfect Saturday

Saturday we had Kevin's Parent's and Grandparents over for lunch.  In Kevin's family, Saturday tradition is to have hot dogs for lunch... and for those of you who don't know:

Family + Warm Weather + Chicago Style Hot Dogs = the PERFECT Saturday

Kevin's grandpa had a special treat for us when he came...  You see I had gotten Kevin an old phonograph this past Christmas:


I bought it off someone on Craigslist who had inherited it from another family member.  I couldn't believe he wanted to sell it!  And yesterday, since Kevin's Grandpa knew we had a phonograph, he brought over a few records to give us!


Would you like to here how it sounds?  I bet you do!  (Please excuse the wind noise and nauseating filming)  Here's a song from one of Grandpa's records called "Lillian" by King Cole and his Trio:



And wouldn't you know it, the next day our phonograph broke!  There I was, sitting on our front steps listening to a Charlie Parker song waft through the open windows and thinking, "It's amazing we have this old machine that still works, I wonder if our future kids will be able to enjoy it." and as the song came to an end, so did our phonograph.  

Okay, it's probably not the end of it, I think the coil/spring that you wind up snapped or detached because all of a sudden it made a shuddering sound and the handle started rapidly spinning backwards by itself.  Sigh.  Anyone know a good phonograph repairman?  

Here's hoping it's relatively easy and inexpensive to figure out myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment